Last Updated: Jan 11, 2023     Views: 393

As the material in the collection is US Army property private citizens cannot acquire material determined to be excess. 

Qualified organizations should make sure they are in the government system to be eligible to receive surplus materials. Institutions can benefit by requesting transfer of material that is excess to the Army, but may enhance their exhibit and education programs.

Department of Defense entities including DoD Museums should request items through the Defense Logistics Agency. They can obtain access to the Re-utilization Transfer and Donation Website, RTD Web, by visiting:

Non-DoD entities such as the National Park Service, Smithsonian Institute, or similar organizations should request items from the U.S. General Services Administration by contacting their National Utilization Officer located at:

Material not required by a federal entity will be declared surplus, released from the Army Artifact Collection, and made available to museums, states and municipalities, veterans organizations and other eligible recipients that qualify for the GSA Federal Surplus Personal Property Donation Program under 40 U.S.C. § 549.

To find out if your organization qualifies, visit:

Organizations wishing to qualify to search for and receive property must qualify for the GSA Federal Surplus Personal Property Donation Program through their State Agency for Surplus Property. To find your SASP and apply, go to:

For more information about the Army Museum Enterprise, visit:

Public Affairs contact for the U.S. Army Center of Military History is Lee Reynolds at:

Related Topics

Submit a New Question

PRIVACY ACT STATEMENT: Disclosure of your contact information is voluntary. We solicit it for the sole purpose of responding to your request.
Your Info

Please do not submit Personally Identifiable (Social Security, Serial Number, DD214 etc.) Information on this form.

Fields marked with * are required.