Last Updated: Feb 15, 2017     Views: 902

The information we hold about specific people varies; in most cases it may simply be a name in an index, unit roster, unit yearbook, or unit history. Our biographical files contain miscellaneous information about a limited number of senior leaders, mostly general officers. In extraordinary cases, we hold memoirs, letters, and other personal writings from Soldiers throughout U.S. Army history. The USAHEC does not hold specific information about birth dates, parentage, descendants, medical records, service records, or award orders, except in the instances in which we hold that person's personal papers or a biography exists.

One way to research an individual’s history is to obtain his or her U.S. Army records from the National Archives and Records Administration or from family members. When you have the Soldier’s basic information (unit name, location where the Soldier was stationed, etc), you can visit the USAHEC collections and use those records as a base for your research. If you need help, the USAHEC’s research team can guide you through the research process during normal business hours. If you cannot make it to the USAHEC facility, consider submitting an online inquiry in our "Ask Another Question" box above. Unofficial inquiries are handled by the USAHEC’s experienced research volunteer corps. Alternatively, you may hire a researcher from the Army Heritage Center Foundation. Official inquiries should call 717-245-3949.

Related Topics