Last Updated: Feb 21, 2017     Views: 123

For some time periods, battles, or units, the USAHEC has alphabetical listings of U.S. Army personnel. For the most part, we cannot take a name and place it in a unit. The largest amount of resources we have for such a search are for the Civil War; however, even for this war, the reference tools vary greatly from state to state in coverage and quality. We also have alphabetical lists of names of persons who filed for pensions based upon service in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Mexican War, and Regular Army service in the Indian Wars. We do not have any such inventories or lists of personnel from later conflicts, the World Wars, Korea, Vietnam or the Gulf War. One starting point to find such information is the Soldier’s official records from the National Archives and Records Administration. Armed with basic information from a Soldier’s official records, you can make much better use of the USAHEC collections to learn the Soldier’s unit’s history.

Related Topics

Submit a New Question

PRIVACY ACT STATEMENT: Disclosure of your contact information is voluntary. We solicit it for the sole purpose of responding to your request.
Your Info

Please do not submit Personally Identifiable (Social Security, Serial Number, DD214 etc.) Information on this form.

Fields marked with * are required.